Passport Requirements


Before Leaving Home

Before Leaving Home

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship.

Caution: The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies.  They are subject to change without notice. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have them available when necessary. These appropriate valid travel documents such as a passport, visas, inoculation certificate and family legal documents are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country and may be subject to fines. No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring the proper documentation.  

Consecutive Sailings
Guests on consecutive sailings must ensure they have the proper travel documents for their entire cruise vacation.
Passport Requirement

Passport Requirement

A valid Passport is required for all international travel.

We strongly recommend that all guest travel with a valid Passport.

Western Hemisphere Travel Inititive (WHTI)
The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires all travelers to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a valid passport or other Department of Homeland Security-approved document that establishes the bearer's identity and citizenship in order to enter or reenter the United States. Click here for more information on this program.

Open-loop sailings (voyages that begin in one U.S. port and end in another U.S. port) require a valid passport book or other WHTI-compliant document for entry or reentry into the United States.

Closed-Loop Sailings:
Only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States.   Click here for a list of all approved documents visit: 

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the U.S. with a valid passport book, U.S. Passport Card, U.S. or Enhanced Driver's License, or Trusted Traveler Program Card such as a Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card. In the absence of any of the documents listed above, guests will be required to present BOTH an identification and citizenship document from each of the lists below in order to embark our vessel. The name on both documents needs to match the name on the cruise line reservation. If it does not as a result of marriage or divorce, guests will need to provide their state, county or province issued marriage license or divorce decree. Guests who legally change their name will need to present a court document.

Closed-Loop Identification Documents

  • Laminated driver's license or identification card issued by federal, state, provincial, country, territory or municipal authority
  • All identification documents must have a photo, name and date of birth

Closed-Loop Citizenship Documents
Government issued:

  • U.S. Birth Certificate (original)
  • U.S. Birth Abroad Certificate (original)
  • U.S. Naturalization Certificate (original)
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (original)

A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Alien Registration Card (Green Card)

Alien Registration Card (Green Card)

U.S. lawful permanent residents will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card issued by the Department of Homeland Security or other valid evidence of permanent residence status to apply for entry to United States.

Card renewal is an important matter. ARC holders (United States permanent residents) with expired cards may be considered "out of status" and may be denied entry / reentry into the United States. If your ARC was issued over 10 years ago, you should check the expiration date printed on the front of the card. If your card is expired, or it is about to expire, you should renew your card before you sail.

If you are holding an old edition ARC WITHOUT an expiration date, you will not be detained from entering the United States but U.S. Customs and Border Protection highly suggests that you apply for a new card before you sail. Click here additional information.
International Travel

International Travel

A valid passport is required; visas are required where they apply. This includes Europe, Asia, Australia/New Zealand, and Central and South America. Click here for additional passport information.
Our Recommendation

Our Recommendation

Royal Caribbean strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least six (6) months beyond the end of their cruise. This greatly assists guests who may need to fly out of the United States to meet their ship at the next available port should they miss their scheduled embarkation in a U.S. port; guests entering the U.S. at the end of their cruise; and guests needing to fly to the U.S. before their cruise ends, because of medical, family, personal or business emergencies, missing a ship's departure from a port of call, involuntary disembarkation from a ship due to misconduct, or other reasons. 

Guests who need to fly to the United States before their cruise ends will likely experience significant delays and complications related to booking airline tickets and entering the United States if they do not have a valid U.S. passport with them. Click here for additional passport information.
Non-U.S. Citizens

Non-U.S. Citizens

You will need a valid passport and, in some cases, a visa. If you live in the U.S., you will also need the original copy of your Alien Registration Card (ARC or "Green Card") and any other documentation the countries on your itinerary require due to your alien status.

Canadian Landed Immigrants
All Canadian Landed Immigrants (inclusive of those who are citizens of the British Commonwealth countries) who reside in Canada must have valid passports and US visas. Also required is the original copy of your Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) formally the IMM 1000, or with respect to any country on the itinerary, any other travel documentation required because of alien status. 

Please contact the Embassy (Consular Services) of each country on your sailing itinerary or the visa service of your choice for specific visa requirements, information, forms and fees for your nationality

Visa Waiver Program
Citizens from the Visa Waiver Program countries of: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom seeking to enter the United States will be required to have in their possession a machine readable, biometic passport with a digital photograph valid for the duration of the voyage. For passport requirements for the Visa Waiver Program applicants can click here to visit the cbp.gov website. The Electronic System for Travel Authorization is mandatory; all travelers, regardless of age, from Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries will be required to complete an online application similar to the I-94W and obtain an ESTA approval prior to boarding a carrier by air or sea to the United States under the VWP.ESTA website.

A machine readable passport is one having an alpha-numeric code on the bottom of the picture page. Example:


Click Here for more information on the Visa Waiver Program.



As detailed in our brochure, all guests must ensure that they are medically and physically fit for travel. As such , we remind you to check with your physician at least 4 to 6 weeks before sailing to make sure you are up to date with any required immunizations or vaccines you may need (including but not limited to certification of yellow fever vaccination) to ensure you will be permitted to visit each of the exciting destinations and tours on your itinerary. 

For further information you may contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Traveler's Health website by clicking here or toll free at 1-800-232-4636.
Family Legal Documents

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.